Concussions continue to get a lot of attention in the media, and for good reason. At Scottish Rite for Children, we continue to study young athletes to learn more about how their brains recover from concussions. We already know that concussion recovery time in children is longer than in adults.
Here are a few additional things our patients have taught us:
- Concussion symptoms are worse and last longer when an athlete continues to play on the same day as their injury
- Girl soccer players are more likely to continue to play on the same day, but boys do too
- Poor sleep is connected to worse concussion symptoms and longer concussion recovery time.
- Anxiety symptoms following a sport-related concussion lead to more time before returning to play.
- In female athletes, delayed presentation to clinic is associated with longer time to clearance to return to play following a sport-related concussion, so it is important to be evaluated soon after the injury.
Learn More About Concussions
Bridge Program and Training Classes
Young athletes cleared from therapy but not quite ready to get back to sport should check out our Bridge Program. Get ready to return safely to sports with our team of strength and conditioning coaches in Frisco. Additionally, our coaches offer a variety of performance courses to help improve muscle strength and movement quality and help prevent future injuries.
Learn more here: What is the Bridge Program?